The theme of this year’s World Environment Day is Ecosystem Restorationand will launch the UN Decade of Ecosystem Restoration. How does this relate to us here at Eden Gardens? Growing trees, greening cities, rewilding gardens – all these things are topics we aspire to.
At Eden Gardens we believe in Enriching People’s Lives With Plants. Our recent Sustainability Festival brought together experts, community groups, and our neighbours and councils to present talks, workshops, walks and films. Some key learnings from these about things you can do RIGHT NOW are:
- Insects are our friends! Encourage native bees – even get a hive, and be ok with spiders – they are great garden guardians. You can even put in some butterflyattracting plants and other beneficial insects. Learn about them here.
- Plant more trees and include more Australian Native plants. Even if you live with a balcony or potted garden, there are native that will suit your space that you can find out about here.
- Keep your cats inside and dogs under control, and provide places for lizards to escape attack from pets and prey.
- Encourage birds with a variety of native plants and by putting out clean water.
- There are many edibles in your neighbourhood growing wild if you know where to look.Growing your own food can reduce green miles, increase freshness and flavour.
- Recycle your organic waste rather than throw it out – get a worm farm or start a compost.
- Reduce your use of personal, household and garden chemicals.
Read more on our 5 Steps to a Sustainable LifeBlog