- Children can enter in the following age brackets: 3 - 7 years and 8 - 12 years.
- The seeds to be grown are Dwarf Sunflower Single.
- Free seed kits (including seed, pot, growing instructions and entry tag - limit of one kit per child) will be available for collection from Eden Gardens after entry.
- To enter this competition, please register at www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/gardencomp
Children's Seed Growing Category and Judging Criteria:
- Once you have entered the competition online, you can collect your free seed growing kit from Eden Gardens (Collection Date 31st July). Eden Gardens is located at 307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park.
- We encourage entries in the Children's Seed Growing Competition to be made before 31 August to allow for maximum seed growing time.
- Late entry, collection of seeds and late planting will be permitted up until 20 September, however this will reduce the seed and plant growing time.
- Read and follow the seed growing instructions provided with your seed kit.
- Plant your seeds from Sunday 14th August 2022
- Plant multiple seed and grow multiple plants or try planting seeds over a number of weeks in different pots. For judging we ask that you choose your best one or two plants to enter.
- Don't forget to decorate your pot. Prize available for the best decorated pot.
- Don't forget to bring your plant to Eden Gardens on 11 November (9am - 5pm) or 12 November (before 10.00am) for judging. Winners will be announced at 11am on 12 November.
- Online event entry is required prior to collection of your seed growing kit. To enter this competition, please register at www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/gardencomp
- Please present a print out of your entry confirmation to the cashier at the Eden Gardens Centre to collect your free seed growing kit (limit of one seed growing kit per child).
- All entries in the Children's Seed Growing Competition must use the supplied seeds and follow the supplied growing instructions as collected from Eden Gardens.
- No hydroponic, artificial growth hormones, hot houses or artificial lights to be used.
- If a child enters multiple plants they will only be considered for a single place/prize (i.e they cannot win multiple places/prizes in their age bracket).
- All judging of Children's Seed Growing Competition entries will take place on 12 November 2022. Entries will be judged by a panel of horticulturalists and garden judges. Judging criteria for the nasturtium plants will be:
Overall condition of the plants
- Freedom from pests and disease
- Height of plant
- Number of flowers
- Diameter of flowers
- Best decorated pot also receives an award.
Key Dates for Children's Seed Growing Competition:
- 1 July 2022: Entries open for all categories of the 2022 Spring Garden Competition.
- 31 August 2022: All entries in the Children's Seed Growing Competition should be made by this date to allow for maximum seed growing time (however, late entries will be accepted).
- From 31st July 2022: Collection of seeds.
- From 14 August 2022: Plant your seeds.
- 11 November 2022 (9am - 5pm): Entries/plants in the Children's Seed Growing Competition to be delivered to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park).
- 12 November 2022 (before 10.00am): Entries/plants in the Children's Seed Growing Competition to be delivered to Eden Gardens (307 Lane Cove Rd, Macquarie Park) for judging. Entries will be judged between 10.00am - 10.30am.
- 12 November 2022 (11am): Winners of the 2021 Spring Garden Competition Seed Growing category will be announced.
Further information: www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/gardencomp or City of Ryde Customer Service 9952 8222.
The 2022 Spring Garden Competition is proudly brought to you by the City of Ryde.