If you’ve decided to buy a real living Xmas tree, you’ll want to be able to get the most out of it.
Top tree tips
- When you get the plant home, stand it in a suitable saucer or dish, and give it a good drink
- Stand the tree where it will receive generous amounts of light, but not directly in front of a window
- Keep it away from any heat sources, such as televisions
- Try not to place it directly under an air conditioner, as this can be desiccating
- Always keep the soil on the moist side, to ensure the tree looks fresh, but don’t sit it in water.
After the celebrations are over, re-plant the tree into a larger pot, say about ½ as big again, which will give it room to grow sufficiently. When it first goes back into the garden, keep it in a semi-shady spot, to allow it to re-adjust, perhaps somewhere that will get some morning sun, but not the burning afternoon heat. Once into autumn, the pot can be moved into a full sun position and turned regularly to ensure that all sides receive equal light.
Following these simple rules should mean that you’ll be able to enjoy the tree for many Christmases to come.